Thursday, March 7, 2013

Creating A Website

Creating A Website

That's what I've been doing these past two weeks, I apologize for the lack of updates, but it has been a difficult task, and one that has required me to remember things that I learned back in 9th and 10th grade. I have been spoiled with tools such as Joomla, and many other web tools that provide a large portion of the HTML (or CSS) coding. Using Adobe Fireworks and Dreamweaver was pretty difficult, especially since I have not used these tools since CS5 was still brand new. I have huge respect for the people that master these applications, because they require a lot of patience, and also a lot of skill in order to not have anything go wrong with the pages that you develop.

Using Dreamweaver in order to create a website was pretty hard to do. Not only did I have to relearn the proper codes, but I also had to consistently check that none of the HTML code I had written was invalid. Doing this was simple, the hard part was figuring out WHY it didn't work. When everything seemed to be okay, it would be the tiniest mistakes that would hold back all of your work. If you forgot to close an action (ie. adding </b> to stop the words from becoming bold after you didn't need them to be) would cause everything to mess up, in the case of the example, every word I had written had become bold, even though I only needed one word to be bold.

In order to fix a lot of the issues I was facing, I did what almost any other person would have done. I took shortcuts. I didn't cheat - that's not what I meant by taking shortcuts, what I mean is I used a program I was a bit more familiar with. I used Adobe Fireworks.

Using Fireworks to create a working website was a lot more simple for me to do. It didn't involve the dirty task of coding all of my work, all it required was for me to provide a decent layout and also provide the content for my website. By using Fireworks, I was able to complete the task with relative ease. I definitely made the website look better than if I had coded it myself, but one of the setbacks was that a lot of the site isn't interactive. The website was uploaded in HTM format, but before that, it was saved as a PNG. Why does this matter? Because the words I typed into my website cannot be copy/pasted. My links work properly, the videos I embedded work flawlessly also, but at the cost of readers not being able to copy the words I have written on my website. In the end though, this is a minor flaw for the sake of completing the project on time. A lot of the class struggles to meet the deadline, and based on those I have talked with, they really wanted to make more out of the website than what their final product was. 

As for me, I'm happy with the website that I created, It's educational, informational, and best of all, clean and easy to follow. I verified that all of my links work using the school computer, but one thing I am nervous about is weather the links will work once Professor Cameron uploads the file onto his laptop. 

If the website works well, and he's able to publish and finalize the links, I will post it on my Blogger for sure, as well as my Twitter.

Here's hoping for the best, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment